Geography at Ellington
At Ellington Primary, we follow Kapow Primary’s Geography scheme of work. This aims to inspire pupils to become curious and explorative thinkers with a diverse knowledge of the world; in other words, to think like a geographer.
We want pupils to develop the confidence to question and observe places, measure and record necessary data in various ways, and analyse and present their findings.
Through our scheme of work, we aim to build an awareness of how Geography shapes our lives at multiple scales and over time. We hope to encourage pupils to become resourceful, active citizens who will have the skills to contribute to and improve the world around them.
Our scheme encourages:
- A strong focus on developing both geographical skills and knowledge.
- Critical thinking, with the ability to ask perceptive questions and explain and analyse evidence.
- The development of fieldwork skills across each year group.
- A deep interest and knowledge of pupils’ locality and how it differs from other areas of the world.
- A growing understanding of geographical terms and vocabulary.
Our chosen Geography scheme of work enables pupils to meet the end of key stage attainment targets in the National curriculum. The aims also align with those in the National curriculum.
Below are links to key curriculum documents.
Geography S Plan
This is our geography S-Plan. It allows children to see their learning journey, from EYFS to Year 6, and to make links between the units studied, knowledge and skills.
Please also find below documents containing the outcomes for each of the units outlined in the S-Plan.
Below are links to documents and websites which you might find useful.
There are some fantastic places to visit in Northumberland where you can explore and enjoy sharing what you have learnt in your Geography lessons in school: